Your Ad Here

Recent Posts

Preventing DoS Attacks and WAN pinging in DI-524

Just a few minutes ago I was experiencing a very slow internet connection. My download speed was just 1.4 kb/s - way to slow. I looked at my router's log page and found an entry indicating a DoS attack - SYN FLOOD!!.. A already enabled DoS prevention option from my router so I shouldn't be that affected, well it sure is slowing my connection. After a few tweaks, I looked at my WAN settings and decided to also disable WAN pinging. I wasn't even contented and had all other services and firewall exceptions as well as virtual servers in my router disabled and it did the trick.. Now I'm enjoying an average of 80 kb/s download. My router is D-Link DI-524 firmware version 2.05. It was originally at version 2.03 but 2.03's don't have this option (DoS attack prevetion), so I upgraded my it to 2.05.

Instructions are here:
  1. Launch internet explorer or my computer any type in the address 192.168.0.1, type your username and password.
  2. Select the Tools tab and enable Discard PING from WAN side.
  3. Also enable DoS Protection option.
  4. I also forced my WAN select to 10/100 Mbps option to 100 Mbps/Full.
  5. From the Advanced tab, Virtual Server option, I disabled all virtual servers except the ones I knowingly allowed.

 

Related Posts by Category



4 Responses to "Preventing DoS Attacks and WAN pinging in DI-524"

JorJor's Blog Says :
Wed Mar 19, 02:09:00 PM GMT+8 This comment has been removed by the author.
JorJor's Blog Says :
Wed Mar 19, 02:15:00 PM GMT+8

Thanks! I don't even know DI524 has such kind of protection.

By the way, is it heated up after you've forced it to 100Mbps?

Borge Says :
Sun Mar 23, 02:24:00 AM GMT+8

I think you are referring to the revision C of DI-524. What I have is revision B and what I did was only to update to version 2.05 of DI-524 not DI-624. And regarding the heating problem, I made a fan just below the the router and my dsl modem, it seemed to help a lot. I have been running the router and modem 27/7 without a hitch since then.

Muhaimin Says :
Thu Nov 24, 10:55:00 AM GMT+8

thanks for sharing..is there any more technic to prevent misuse of the network

Post a Comment

Followers