Your Ad Here

Recent Posts

D-Link DI-524 revision B4 status light keeps blinking after firmware upgrade (D-Link DI-524 Problem after firmware update)

This post was originally from SorryForMyEnglish. I made a few additions to his post and posted it in my own blog.

Scenario: I was looking at my router's configuation page and usually get frustrated with the date of my firmware - it's 2005, way long time ago. I tried to contact d-link and told then I was not satisfied with the performance of my unit and asked if I could get the latest firmware version. They gave me a bin file that was dated 2006. I upgraded my firmware to 2006 and it all worked well. After 20 mins, I decided to play around with my router and upgraded the firmware to the latest version which is 2007 (this firmware was not given to me by the d-link representative, I downloaded it somewhere in the web using google). Although there were posts that said the 1.05 version (the latest firmware) sucks, I tried it to see for myself. Without rebooting my router after flashing it with the 2006 version, I reflashed it with 2007 version. At first all went great, I had additional settings in my configuration and enjoyed especially the option that I can now sync my time to a time server (I usually do this manually with the 2005 version). I was sitting back and relaxing when I decided to reboot the unit. So, I unplugged the router and replugged the power supply. And now the problem got me. The status led keeps blinking and my WLAN led is off. When I plugged my LAN cable I'm connected to the router by the router does not respond (No packets received from the router). Back to the the old posts to review what can I do with my situation. Luckily, I was able to google this blog and fixed my unit. I have the thing up and running non stop to this time.

Here are the instructions

  1. Make sure that you have a copy of the latest firmware and it has an *.exe file with it. Because the router's configuration page won't be available, you'll be needing the exe to some sort of force the firmware upgrade procedure.
  2. Unplug everything attached to your router except the power cable and LAN cable connected to your pc.
  3. Configure your TCP/IP with this info: IP:192.168.123.253, Default mask:255.255.255.0, Default Gateway:192.168.123.254 and DNS Server:192.168.123.254 (Use only 1 DNS server). Save this new configuration and reboot your pc.
  4. Unplug the power cable to your router as the pc reboots. When everything is up and running, plug the power cable. The status led will be flashing like crazy. It's normal.
  5. Use the exe file to upgrade your firmware. Make sure that the utility file (exe file) is able to recognize your router or else you won't be able to do a firmware upgrade. Now this may take a while, keep pressing the Refresh button to recognize your router. Once recognized you would see there 192.168.0.1 crash. Once you have this, you can now press the upgrade button.
  6. Wait for a while until the unit finishes the upgrade and once done, I think you have recovered the life of your router from the pits of hell. Hahahaha.
  7. You can now unplug the power of the router and restart your pc, see if everything is doing fine.

Hope this helps.

There are also some sort of hidden options in your router and here are those:
rtab.htm
extra.htm
wlape.htm

Here are the files that I am talking about. (Fileshare by Rapidshare so DO NOT USE FLASHGET to download the files.)
DI-524 ver. 2.04 (bin only)
DI-524 ver. 2.05 (bin and exe files)

Latest firmware version for D-Link DI-524 ver. 2.07

NOTE: Upgrade your firmware first to ver.2.04 before going to ver.2.05.

Related Posts by Category



18 Responses to "D-Link DI-524 revision B4 status light keeps blinking after firmware upgrade (D-Link DI-524 Problem after firmware update)"

Anonymous Says :
Thu Apr 17, 09:25:00 PM GMT+8

Great, thanks for the firmaware files! I couldn't find them anywhere else for the B4 Revision and they work great too.

But if you have already configured your Wireless Router you can update it with your suggested files in 2 simple steps (without the reconfiguration hazzle):

1. Firmware upgrade to 2.04 (reboot router).
2. Firmware upgrade to 2.05 using the .EXE file provided (reboot router).
3. Voila, you're done! And it has kept your previous custom settings too.

Borge Says :
Fri Apr 18, 10:19:00 AM GMT+8

Yes, you are right. The steps you outlined above is the proper way of upgrading your firmware. Nice job of finding it yourself.

Alan Carvalho de Assis Says :
Sun May 04, 11:37:00 PM GMT+8

Hi Borge,
I'm going to increase my DI-524 power and maybe you can help me.
I found this tip:
http://tonageral.blogspot.com/2008/03/aumentar-potencia-do-di-524.html

But I can't found anything explain more about it at Internet. I don't know if this information it true. I hope so.

Some ideia?

Cheers,

Alan

Borge Says :
Mon May 05, 12:06:00 AM GMT+8

@ alan, what do you mean when you say increase the power of your DI-524? are you trying to expand its wifi range? If yes, you can look for a good antenna in your local computer shop that works with DI-524. But before doing that, I would suggest to properly place the router in a strategic position inside your house or office before you bug an antenna to extend its range. Most of the time, the wifi range is obstructed by walls and metals. Try to place the router at the middle of the house or office and as far from the walls as possible. Since I placed my router outside the house. Never had to buy an antenna. This might also work with you. Just try it before buying something.

Anonymous Says :
Thu Jun 05, 11:27:00 AM GMT+8

Hmm been trying this for some time now. The firmware upgrade utilities (I've tried both 2.05 and 2.07) have not been able to find my router ever. When I manually input 192.168.123.253, the program recognizes it as a device, but calls it "unknown device". The password field then shows up, but the default blank password, or anything else I think up doesn't seem to make a difference, as pushing upgrade yields a box that says "send error".

I can ping the di-524 normally, but cannot telnet it or do much else in terms of communication. My computer knows it is there, as it can attempt to connect through the firmware browser page, but simply times out, and upgrade utility recognizes an unknown device. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous Says :
Sun Jul 06, 05:38:00 PM GMT+8

Ottimo sugerimento per DI-524 andato tutto a buon fine.grazie

Anonymous Says :
Sun Jul 06, 05:42:00 PM GMT+8

Ottimo sugerimento per DI-524 tutto bene dopo aver riavviato ,grazie

Anonymous Says :
Mon Sep 08, 12:03:00 AM GMT+8

HI GUYS !!!!!!!!!!

I FOUND THE LAST VERSION FOR THIS VERSION B4
CLICK HERE: ftp://ftp.dlinkla.com/pub/drivers/DI-524/FIRMWARE_DI-524_v2.07.rar

PAGE: http://www.dlinkla.com/home/productos/producto.jsp?idp=260

Borge Says :
Thu Nov 13, 08:21:00 PM GMT+8

The file at ftp://ftp.dlinkla.com/pub/drivers/DI-524/FIRMWARE_DI-524_v2.07.rar is confirmed to be fully working and rated A+ on my router. Thanks a lot for the link Anonymous.

Unknown Says :
Sat Nov 29, 02:44:00 PM GMT+8

Here is the link for the latest firmware for D-Link DI-524 Router. Tested to be working perfectly. http://rapidshare.com/files/165917760/FIRMWARE_524_V2.07.rar

Anonymous Says :
Fri Dec 05, 08:09:00 AM GMT+8

had the same problem - to pet0sh - 192.168.123.253 wrong ip ...

in my case i had not to switch the ip of my pc.
i just needed to hit refresh for many times. finally it found the router. i cant explain why not at the first try.
i used a port scanner on the router, and during the scan i could get access with th 2.05 firmware EXE.

thanks for this blogpost. was a great help!

Anonymous Says :
Tue Dec 30, 10:52:00 PM GMT+8

My upgrade was sucessfully.
Thank you.

Anonymous Says :
Tue Dec 30, 10:53:00 PM GMT+8

Ops ... my revision is B4 ... thank you

Anonymous Says :
Wed Feb 11, 07:48:00 PM GMT+8

My upgrade was sucessfully 2.
Thank you.

Anonymous Says :
Wed Mar 04, 06:40:00 AM GMT+8

Hola, te puedes meter a www.dlinkla.com o www.dlink.com.au ambos en soporte encontrarás ayuda, espero te sirva, fue algo que aprendí mientras trabajé en Dlink

Dominus Says :
Wed Apr 07, 04:42:00 PM GMT+8

Thanks!
Di-524 Rev.B, upgraded to firmware 2.06, but the ip change to 192.168.123.253/254 did not work.
Had to use 192.168.0.100/1 (first one for ip of workstation, second for gateway/dns), and worked like a charm!

Anonymous Says :
Fri Jun 18, 03:43:00 AM GMT+8

HI, thanks for the tips regarding firmware rewriting for DI-524 rev B

I've a faulty router (no wireless network emiting & LAN not working) and now it's working but i fixed with some modifications from the showed above.

1. I've downloaded 2.07 firmware (bin+exe)
http://rapidshare.com/files/165917760/FIRMWARE_524_V2.07.rar
2. configured my LAN card on PC with
ip: 192.168.0.X x=2--255
mask:255.255.255.0
gateway & DNS1: 192.168.123.254
3. Run the exe file from firmware archive
- found the device (mesage 192.168.0.1 crash)
4 Hit Update

After updating the firmware everything was working great.

Anonymous Says :
Tue Oct 19, 09:33:00 AM GMT+8

Hi, Borge!

I had exactly the same problem like you had before, followed your advices but unfortunately this couldn't solve the problem - the status led still keeps on blinking and I cannot access the router's setup page.

I had these differences according to your post:
- after rebooting my pc I plugged the power cable back, the led had begun to flash but in it's "normal" speed, not faster
- ran the exe file (v2.07) with admin permissions, but it couldn't find anything else only 196.168.123.254
- tried to hit upgrade. It started to work, the status led were blinkink faster and finally prompted that the upgrade was successful.
- closed the program and rebooted my pc, but there's no change in the state of the router.

Can you help me?

By the way I'm using Win7. Can it cause any problem?

Best regards
Dave

Post a Comment

Followers